#38: Life Lessons Not Found In School with Tami Holzman
Welcome to episode #38 of “Rewrite the Rules with Alex Starr” Podcast, available for free on iTunes or any podcast app.
direct links at the top of the page ↑
School really works for some people…both of my sister’s got over a 4.0 GPA throughout high school. I was usually trying to sweet talk the teachers into letting me skip assignments or talking to other kids in the back of the room. The whole process never really made sense.
First you have to sit down the whole day when your body is at peak energy levels, utilize an auditory learning style which is difficult, then you circle letters pertaining to the facts you were told on a multiple-choice test and they tell you how much you did or did not “learn”. It all seemed kind of pointless.
“Everything I was getting punished for in school is what was my skillset to be able to succeed.”
Enter Tami Holzman. She was an average student and did not enjoy the classic style of learning and school either. So she recognized her strengths and emotional capabilities to leverage her skills against what others had. It has led her to working as an agent and studio executive, becoming the CEO of her own management group, creating and producing hit TV shows and rubbing elbows with some of the top entertainment and business people in the game.
“Becoming self-aware is the most difficult but important thing to do.”
This episode is full of tips and advice about how to meet people and build trust in those relationships that will literally change your outlook and life if you let it.
She recently published a book that is in the running for longest title to ever be published “From C-Student to the C-Suite: How I Use My Emotional Intelligence to Gain Access to the Most Influential People in The World, Even With All My Shit and Insecurities”
What we talk about and where to find it:
- What she focused on instead of school to become successful (4:30)
- Techniques for getting the interview/job/meeting that you want (7:00)
- What to do when meeting people for the first time (12:00)
- The most important skillset and how to develop it (16:00)
- Structuring your identity to the true version of yourself (21:00)
- Why putting allll your cards on the table usually works (24:30)
- The dynamic of being a woman in a predominantly masculine industry (28:30)
- Feel like you are going to be found out as a fraud? Here is why. (34:00)
- Respect this and it will change everything (40:00)
- Gaining the trust of the people around you (46:00)
- The best strategy for life goals (50:00)
“At the end of the day it is all about relationships.”
Where to find her!